We are seeking an enthusiastic editorial assistant to join the leafie team on a part-time basis, with room for growth.
Launched in 2019, leafie is a digital magazine exploring cannabis, psychedelics and the cultural events that connect us all.
By mixing education and entertainment, leafie has been meeting a growing demand for unbiased and trustworthy information on substances that have for decades been unfairly vilified but are now being seen as tools for improved health and wellness.
As part of our continued growth, 2023 will see the launch of a biannual print magazine, live events and more.
About the role
The role will be varied, dynamic and exciting. Offering the successful candidate an opportunity to be involved in all aspects of running an independent publication and gain invaluable experience. Tasks will involve:
- Writing and editing a range of editorial content: short news, interviews, roundups, long-form features
- Planning and managing both online and print content schedules
- Working with external contributors to brief and ensure deadlines are met
- Producing and scheduling social media images, videos and copy
- Assisting with research and development of ideas
- Liaising with advertisers and outside suppliers
We are looking for someone with a passion for our core subjects and a belief that the existing media narrative around drugs is outdated and irresponsible. You will be creative and outgoing, willing to bring ideas to the publication and eager to sharpen your skills through hands-on experience. The ideal candidate will:
- Be studying or have recently graduated from a journalism degree or NCTC course or have equivalent experience in a similar business
- Be comfortable managing and growing social media channels such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok
- Be confident enough to pitch and develop content ideas as a contributing member of the editorial team
- Ideally have basic knowledge of WordPress
- Ideally have an understanding of creative photo/video editing software such as Photoshop
What we offer
This is a paid position compensated at National Living Wage, with additional reimbursement for any additional travel or other external costs. We can provide a laptop and any other technical equipment required. The initial contract will be for 3 months, part-time, with a view to increasing hours based on success. You will be required to work some hours in our Manchester City Centre office, and so will be based within reasonable commuting distance. We are incredibly flexible with working hours and believe in asynchronous work where feasibly possible.
While we welcome CVs we encourage prospective candidates to send a personal email explaining why they are interested in this role. Outline why you share our passion, any relevant experience in writing and social media, portfolios of existing articles, stories, features or any other relevant work will trump your GCSE results and hobbies every time. Please also include references where applicable.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: leafie Editorial Assistant 2023. We endeavour to reply to all applicants who fully meet the criteria and follow the instructions above.